Membership in trade unions, employers' organizations, or occupational associations: Who can make a complaint


Individuals could experience discrimination in the area of unions when they are in a variety of situations, including:

  • applying for membership
  • working as a probationary employee
  • experiencing discrimination in the workplace
  • needing accommodation in the workplace
  • being a member of a trade union, employers' organization or occupational association

Anyone who believes that they have experienced discrimination based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, family status, source of income or sexual orientation may make a complaint. A complaint must be made within one year after the alleged incident of discrimination.

A complaint may be made on behalf of another individual. Complainants are entitled (but not required) to have a third party, for example, a lawyer or advocate, represent them in the complaint process. If a complainant chooses to pay for help from a lawyer or advocate, the complainant is responsible for the cost.

For more information, see Making and resolving human rights complaints.

Revised: March 10, 2010



Our vision is a vibrant and inclusive Alberta where the rich diversity of people is celebrated and respected, and where everyone has the opportunity to fully participate in society, free from discrimination.